[LRUG] [CFP] February meeting - lightning talks

Murray Steele murray.steele at lrug.org
Wed Jan 10 03:27:34 PST 2018

Hi folks,

Our next meeting will be on Monday 12th February, and it’s our annual
lightning talks night.  All the talks are 10 minutes (or less) so there’s
space for 8 speakers.  If one of your 2018 resolutions was to do some
public speaking then this is a great opportunity to check it off early and
leave the rest of your year free for going for long walks, or finally
sitting down and reading Ulysses.

If we get more than 8 volunteers we have a preference for new speakers, but
don’t let that dissuade you if you’ve spoken before.  The March meeting is
full, but there are 9 other months in 2018, so 9 other meetings where I’m
sure we can fit you in.

For this meeting we relax our, admittedly not very strict anyway,
requirement for the talk to be about ruby or development.  If it’s
something that you, a person on this list, are interested in chances are
we, the rest of the people on this list, would be happy to hear about it
for 10 minutes.  If it helps, just throw in a slide at then end saying “and
this has made me a better developer, but I don’t have time to explain why
as this is only a 10 minute talk, sorry” and we’re all good ;)  While we’re
more forgiving on the ruby/development content in your talk our code of
conduct from http://readme.lrug.org/#code-of-conduct still applies.

As ever, the entire LRUG organising team is at your disposal if you want to
get some advice on what to talk about, or how to structure your talk, or
run a rehearsal, or anything else you might need to help you prepare your
talk and feel comfortable giving it.  We have some resources on
http://readme.lrug.org/#resources-for-speakers to help too.

Feel free to let people who don’t normally attend LRUG know about this
event too.  It would be nice to hear from people outside the ruby community
about things going on in other programming language communities, or even
disciplines that aren’t programming.

Looking forward to all your proposals!

Cheers,

Murray