[LRUG] Speaker for August (and beyond)

James Adam james at lazyatom.com
Fri Jul 27 03:58:53 PDT 2018

Hello LRUG,

We’re almost ready to announce details of the August meeting (scheduled for Monday 13th), but we still have room for a 10 minute talk, if anyone here would like to share anything they’ve found interesting recently? Please get in touch at talks at lrug.org!

Beyond August/September, our volunteer stack is looking a little (i.e. very) sparse, so the time has never been better to join the illustrious group of excellent people who’ve spoken at LRUG. You don’t need to talk about Ruby, and you absolutely don’t need to feel like you’re an expert either — sometimes the perspectives of people just starting out or learning something new are the most valuable!

Nadia Odunayo shared her experience of going from “I have nothing to talk about” to speaking at RailsConf in this great post[1] — and even if you have no desire to start talking at conferences, speaking at LRUG is a great way of meeting new people (*cough* employers *cough*). Plus you get that warm fuzzy feeling from having shared a little back to the community.

So! If you’d like to speak at LRUG, either in our short slot in August or in the coming months, please email us at talks at lrug.org. We can’t wait to hear from you, and without you volunteering (yes, you!), our monthly meet ups are going to be a lot less fun.

Thanks!

James (on behalf of the LRUG organisers team)

[1] https://medium.com/@nodunayo/so-you-want-to-speak-at-tech-conferences-but-you-have-nothing-to-talk-about-771ac9e32a3d