[LRUG] [JOBS] Ruby role with ed tech start-up in West London

Tom Percival tom at toucanbox.com
Thu Mar 8 04:11:45 PST 2018

Hello

I have an opportunity for a software developer to join the engineering team
at toucanBox in a permanent position at our head office in Hammersmith,
London and having just filled an identical role via an email to this list I
thought it would be worth another go!

Key benefits:

   - Great environment and team, at a company with an educational mission
   - Great tech stack (mostly Ruby & Javascript (Vue.js), also Go, Python,
   R, Docker and solid CI toolchain)
   - A flexible approach to getting things done, lots of collaboration and
   plenty of autonomy too.

toucanBox is an ed tech subscription business that provides fun and
educational crafting experiences for kids between the ages of 3-8. We
design the very best projects to ignite curiosity and creativity, and take
the hassle out of creative play at home. We are doubling in size annually,
and in the last 12 months shipped over 1 million boxes to our customers in
the UK, Ireland, France, Italy and Germany.

The engineering team develop our bespoke subscription management and
payments system, our customer facing web applications and those that power
our manufacturing and logistics centre near Heathrow. The majority of our
application code is Ruby, but we use golang for our queue workers and, for
our data analysis, R and Python. The bulk of our front-end apps are in
Vue.js but we are very open minded about the use of the right technologies
for the right projects. We believe in TDD and pairing, have an increasingly
satisfying CI pipeline and deployment tools and work in a loosely defined
and flexible agile way.

We all enjoy the freedom to scope and develop projects with a high degree
of autonomy, spend time on personal projects, personal development and
conferences and are welcome to open source code. Being essentially a
children's toy company makes this a very family oriented workplace too - oh
and there's a dog.

Interview stages
  - Phone chat.
  - On site pairing session and meet the team.

To find out more details have a look at our jobs page or email me directly
at tom at toucanbox.com.

Many thanks

Tom

--