[LRUG] [JOBS] Ruby (Sinatra) backend developer at Venture Capital Firm (Remote)

Vidar Hokstad vidar at hokstad.com
Mon Oct 1 03:19:36 PDT 2018

Hi,

I'm looking for a Ruby developer on behalf of a very unusual venture
capital firm where I'm handling the technical architecture, called
Accelerated Digital Ventures (https://accelerated.ventures/), backed by
Legal & General, Woodford Investment Management and the British Business
Bank.

The job:

The ideal candidate has 3-5 years of Ruby experience or more but there's
flexibility if you have experience with other languages. Ideally you have
some experience with Sinatra or Sequel but if you've done Rails that's fine
too. If you have some exposure to one or more of Docker, AWS, React,
Postgres, ElasticSearch, Linux, that's good.

We believe strongly the architecture should minimise boilerplate and allow
growing the system with as little code as possible, and so there's a lot of
funky metadata driven and introspection driven code to auto-generate more
and more of the APIs from data about the data model and workflows. If you
want to work on something that's a few steps beyond your grandma's CRUD
app, you might wind this interesting.

The job is 90% or so remote - the closest thing ADV has to an office is a
corporate penthouse flat in Farringdon (...), but occasionally there are
face to face meetings, mostly in London.

About ADV:

ADV is a "patient venture investor" that doesn't need to push for a quick
exit. ADV is also openly publishing investment criteria and other
documentation, and trying to push the industry towards more openness.

As part of this, ADV built Venture Market (https://www.venturemarket.org/)
which is an open marketplace where founders can submit to five VC firms so
far, with many more in the pipeline.

ADV is also building it's own platform to streamline and automate as much
as possible of the investment process.

Currently both Venture Market and ADVs internal tools are all built on a
Ruby stack on the backend, using Sinatra and Sequel talking to
Elasticsearch and Postgres running on AWS, with React for the frontend.

If you're interested in hearing more, reply to me or e-mail at
vidar.hokstad at accelerated.ventures

Regards,
Vidar Hokstad