[LRUG] [ANN] January 2020 meeting details

Murray Steele murray.steele at lrug.org
Tue Dec 24 11:32:58 PST 2019

Merry Christmas Eve everyone!

Our next meeting is on Monday 13th January and will be hosted by GoCardless
at their offices on Goswell Road.

As usual, doors at 6pm for a 6:30pm start, and we aim to finish up the
talks by 8pm so we can swap our formal attire for more relaxed garments and
visit a local pub.

Our theme for January is “Ruby Talent Show”, e.g. “what are you doing with
ruby that’s not making websites”.  So far we have 3 confirmed volunteers:

* “Ruby on the Big Screen” - Steve Butterworth is going to show us ruby
powering giant LED screens using in golf championships
* “Re-interpreting Data” - Murray Steele is going to show us how to change
the type of a file and see or hear what’s going on in them
* “Ruby’s a critic” - Nuno Silva is going to show us how to get ruby giving
you code quality reports like codeclimate, from the comfort of your own CI

We’re waiting for a couple of other volunteers to confirm, but there’s
still space for you to show off something you’ve been doing with ruby
that’s a bit out of the ordinary.  It’d be enough to just show us some code
and what it does for 5 minutes, no need for slides or anything more
complicated!  Get in touch with us on talks at lrug.org if you want a slot.

Not content with providing us a venue to host our meeting, GoCardless are
also providing some food and drink for us too.  Many thanks to them for
being so nice.

More details on the volunteers, the venue, and everything January 2020 LRUG
meeting related can be found at http://lrug.org/meetings/2020/january/

If you want to come you should:

1. Read http://readme.lrug.org/#code-of-conduct so you know the standard of
behaviour we expect from you all
2. Register to attend via eventbrite at:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/london-ruby-user-group-january-2020-meeting-tickets-87064719921

Finally, remember that in Februrary we will be having our traditional
"Lightning Talks” evening. This event has always been great fun and well
attended and we hope the one in 2020 will be the same. The night is devoted
to talks of no more than 10 minutes, and because we’ll have time to fit a
lot of them in we tend to have a wide range of topics - all things of
interest to Rubyists but not always about Ruby! Have a look at this year's
line-up (http://lrug.org/meetings/2019/february/) for inspiration. Get in
touch with us at talks at lrug.org if you'd like to speak at this event.

See you in 2020!

Cheers,

Murray & the rest of LRUG the organising team