[LRUG] [JOBS] Experienced Ruby & Rails / Tech generalist at Error (Remote - UK)

Ed Jones ed at error.agency
Wed Feb 20 08:16:35 PST 2019

Hi folks,

A while ago I introduced Error on this list and got some nice replies. Thanks for the positive feedback.

We want to hire an experienced Ruby and Rails developer to join our growing team, and help to pitch in on a large range of projects.

----------------
About Error
----------------

We design and build websites, web applications and the occasional mobile app, as well as running a hosted software product which we use on every project. All our work is centred on the human experience, and that’s one of the main reasons our clients love to work with us.
Our previous clients include Sony Games, the BBC, ITN, Tate, Bupa, the Open Data Institute and many more established businesses and startups. We’re proud to have been honoured at the Webby awards for our design of the National Museums Liverpool web site, and are excited to be working closely with the University of London on a project to map the history of the city over the last 2000 years (https://www.layersoflondon.org <https://www.layersoflondon.org/>).

We run a nascent SaaS product called Rooftop CMS (https://www.rooftopcms.com <https://www.rooftopcms.com/>), which we use primarily to speed up delivery of sites for our clients, but which we hope will turn into a business of its own.

Our work is strongly design-focused, but we also deliver heavyweight technical solutions too. The two together are what stands us apart from many smaller agencies. Our clients are generally either very commercial (startups, blue-chip organisations who use us to deliver agile solutions), or in the cultural and creative sectors. Both have their challenges and interests, and we like to keep it mixed. Many of our clients have been with us for years. We use a lot of Rails / JS and a bit of other stuff (PHP for Rooftop, Xamarin for Mobile, some Lua for scripting in Nginx, etc).

We open-source as much of our work as possible. Ed and Paul co-maintain a popular gem (https://github.com/remiprev/her <https://github.com/remiprev/her>) with the excellent Zachary Welch (https://github.com/zacharywelch <https://github.com/zacharywelch>), Rooftop CMS is released under the GPL (https://github.com/rooftopcms/ <https://github.com/rooftopcms/>), and our work on Layers of London is all available on Github too (https://github.com/layersoflondon <https://github.com/layersoflondon>).

Remote work and 4 day weeks: why working at Error is special

We run Error because we care about the work we produce, and those we do it for. We also care about our colleagues, families and communities, so our working practices reflect that. Generally, we only work 4 days per week, from Tuesday to Friday: Mondays are our own for outside interests or family time. We have a strong remote-working culture, and you can work remotely full-time if you want (Paul and I both do). Getting the job done is much more important to us than working hours or formalities. We will commit budget to your continuing professional development, and we don't really count the days you take off - if you need a break, you need a break.

Error will probably never become a behemoth agency with layers of management and tonnes of bureaucracy. We much prefer to keep things flexible and small-scale, so we can embed ourselves with our clients and focus on fewer things at one time. We are, however, planning to grow a bit: we’d like to get to the point where we can say ‘yes’ to projects more often than we say ‘no’, and have a little more flex in the system.

-----------------------
Can you join us?
-----------------------

If you like the sound of working at Error, I'd love to chat to you. How you fit into the team is as important to us as the skills you have; if you think you’d be a good cultural fit for us, you’ll find your niche and add value to the business. This will be a hands-on development role, but we might want you to help with client workshops, teaching, training and writing too. Job roles are loosely defined at Error, and we all pitch in when something needs doing.

You’ll need to be within an hour or two of UK time, and able to work in the UK - if you’re somewhere in Europe that’s fine, but we don’t think it’s feasible to work across continents at the moment.

In general, we like to hire people who:

- love to learn new stuff
- have an opinion, preferably supported by evidence (although gut feel is important too)
- can articulate their thoughts clearly, to both colleagues and clients
- care about other people and how they think
- understand the importance of the human in the process of building something technical
- can adapt their skills and interests to the task at hand, thinking laterally about a problem
- are driven to produce excellent work, but also know when to compromise

We're specifically looking for someone with a few years' commercial software development under their belts, who can pitch straight into writing production code across all our projects. I've written a bit more here: https://honest.work/job/ruby-and-rails-developer-and-tech-generalist-84d3

Thanks for reading

Ed
--
Error