[LRUG] Might be of interest for remote workers and contractors

Tadas tadastamo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 11:13:39 PDT 2019

Totally agree with Eric. To expand on that: a lot of times when companies
are “trying” remote working they’ll allow a couple of people to work from
home on Fridays or so, important impromptu decisions are made on these days
and people who’re remote will be left out, which further perpetuates the
myth of remoteness making harder to communicate and to keep everyone
informed.

I strongly believe that if a company wants to try remote working they
should let _everyone_ work remotely for a few days. Otherwise they are not
trying remote working, they are just letting a couple of people skip the
office sometimes.

Tadas
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 at 19:55, Eric Theise <erictheise at gmail.com> wrote:

> One comment on your "Cons" list. Missing out on treats and games, for me,
> doesn't leave permanent scars.
>
> The biggest problem with "events that happen in the office" is the
> impromptu decisions that get made between standups. By that I mean the
> scenario where there's a morning standup, remote workers carry on, and
> during the day an important decision or reprioritization gets made that
> isn't ported over to Slack (or whatever). Sometimes this'll surface at the
> next day's standup or in the day's commit messages but it's easy to miss a
> change in direction and feel disenfranchised from decision making.
>
> Probably less likely to happen when a culture of remote working
> predominates but when remote workers are in the minority, well, that's the
> biggest con for me.
>
> Eric
>

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 5:24 AM Mugurel Chirica <chirica.mugurel at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have recently posted an article of my remote working experience at
>> Simply Business.
>>
>> Have a read if it's something you are interested in:
>> https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/about-us/tech/2019/03/remote-working-at-simply-business/
>>
>> --
>> *Kind regards,*
>>
>> *Mugurel Teodor **Chirica*