[LRUG] [JOBS] Tech lead at women's rights charity CHAYN

Hera Hussain hussain.hera at gmail.com
Fri May 10 22:49:35 PDT 2019

Hello everyone,
I'm the founder of a women's rights charity, CHAYN <http://chayn.co/>, that
is building open source digital services such as a chat bot and online
learning platform. We're a volunteer run network but have secured some
funding to support the technical development of these projects.

We're looking for a full stack developer who can work between 2-4 days a
week (negotiable).

*Deadline to apply: *31 May

Due to the nature of the role, we encourage anyone who identifies as a
women (especially women of colour) to apply!

If you have any questions, please do shoot me an email!

Full details here:
------

Tech Lead, CHAYN

UK Based · June - Dec 2019 · £22054 inc VAT · 2-4 days per week

Chayn <https://chayn.co/> is an award-winning, open-source project that
leverages technology to empower women against violence and oppression so
they can live happier and healthier lives.

Since 2013, Chayn <https://chayn.co/>’s volunteer community has been
creating online resources to help women experiencing gender-based violence
across the world. We have reached 200,000 people, worked with many
frontline services and picked up many awards for our user-led approach and
impact. Up to 70% of our volunteers are survivors of abuse.

This role would be our first hire as part of our move towards having a
salaried team to make up the core team. We’re looking for someone who truly
cares about gender equality and wants to take charge of our technical
projects. Though our current funding only covers this role for 6 months,
we’re fundraising to extend this further and would really love for you to
apply if you want this to be a long-term relationship.

What’s it like working for Chayn

This won’t be a 9 to 5 job as most of us have day jobs and you will be
working with a diverse and multi-disciplinary team from around the world to
take Chayn to the next level.

   -

   Odd, irregular working hours. We’re a global community which means even
   though some of our core team is based in the UK, most are not and we’re
   constantly juggling time zones. We expect our consultants to be flexible.
   -

   You’ll always end up doing more than you sign up for. We try to respect
   everyone’s time because that’s all we have as volunteers to give. We’re
   excited to have a budget to pay for your work but the realities of this
   work are that you will only enjoy working with us if you care about the
   mission!
   -

   Though we like doing things by consensus, we’re not 100% democratic. We
   want someone who takes initiative, engages with people and feels
   comfortable enough to organise their own work.
   -

   You will need to be on Facebook and be part of our group.

There will be three main projects. We’ll explain the technical stack for
each of them.

LITTLE WINDOW

Little window is a smart search bot that directs women to the information
they are looking for as quickly as possible. Think of it like google search
on turbo for all of Chayn’s resources and those provided by our friends
too. We want to drastically reduce the time women take to search for
information which in many cases can save lives.

Little Window is built with the following:

   -

   React.js frontend,
   -

   Node / Express backend,
   -

   PostgreSQL database,
   -

   DialogFlow for natural language processing,
   -

   GoogleSheets API,
   -

   Deployed on Heroku,

Codebase available here https://github.com/fac-12/Little-Window

The priorities for the next round of development are:

   -

   Expanding the conversation using DialogFlow
   -

   Improving the front-end user interface using React.js
   -

   Capturing more information in the database for future data analysis
   -

   Ensuring performance and accessibility across browsers and devices

SOUL MEDICINE

Want to help women experiencing abuse & refugees continue their learning
from the comfort of their mobiles? We’re on a mission to make it easier for
people to learn, feel better and grow. To make this possible, we’re looking
for a kick-ass Software Engineer for our project - Soul Medicine!

Soul Medicine <https://soulmedicine.io/> is designed to provide women with
bite-sized courses and motivational quotes that help them to improve their
life. Not everyone is able to access support in person. By providing easily
digestible, bite-size information of complex content for people who are on
the go (e.g. refugees/migrants) or people with restricted mobility (i.e.
women in abusive relationships), we enable them to make informed decisions.

We are looking to overhaul the website to be lightweight enough to be used
by anyone, anywhere while still being functional enough to get users to the
content as quickly as possible. The ideal candidate would be willing to be
part of a tight-knit team that can work in an open-source environment and
can articulate reasons behind decisions (so that others can learn in the
future). You will be responsible for the day to day operations and running
of the site itself on Heroku.

CHAYN’S OTHER WEB PLATFORMS

And we’ve got some nips and tucks that go with all the Chayn websites,
including but not limited to optimisation and mobile responsive design.

Your Profile

You need to have at least a year or more of the following:

   -

   Experience building and running Ruby on Rails web applications.
   -

   Hands-on experience in HTML (especially HTML5), JS and CSS3 and backend
   experience.
   -

   Strong understanding of JavaScript.
   -

   Working with APIs.
   -

   Content Management Systems such as wordpress
   -

   Experience Working with source control (Git).
   -

   Experience working in a remote team.
   -

   Familiarity working closely with UX and Visual Designers.
   -

   Experience in writing well-tested code, keeping things simple but with
   an eye for future extensibility.

Preferred Skills

   -

   Running apps on Heroku
   -

   Familiarity with chatbots

Duration:

June - Dec 2019

We are flexible about when, where and how you work but there will be
deadlines to deliver. You must be based in the UK and have the
authorisation to work here. We cannot support VISA applications.

Pay:

Up to £22054 (inc VAT)  for the entire project.

How to Apply

Send us a CV, and a cover letter to join at chayn.co telling us:

   -

   A bit about your background
   -

   Why you’d like to join Chayn
   -

   Three things you would do to make Chayn’s tech infrastructure better
   -

   Share a sample of code you’ve written show us something you are most
   proud of and explain what approach(s) you’d take to improve it.
   -

   Anything else you think we might like to know.

Don’t forget to include a link to your GitHub, or attach some examples of
your work. We'd love to see how you work and think as much as the end
result of what you’ve created.

Interviews will be done on Skype but you must be based in the UK. We look
forward to hearing from you!

--

*Hera Hussain*

Transparency | Civic tech | Open data | Gender rights
Founder, CHAYN <http://chayn.co>
Senior Advocacy Manager, Open Contracting Partnership
<http://open-contracting.org>
+447403442852 | @herahussain <http://twitter.com/#!/herahussain> | skype:
coffeewithhera

Read my latest thoughts on this blog <https://medium.com/@hera>.