[LRUG] Ruby Talent Show - Jan meeting idea

Murray Steele murray.steele at lrug.org
Sun Nov 24 11:46:29 PST 2019

Hi all,

Here’s an idea for our Jan meeting on the Monday 13th: a “Ruby Talent
Show”.  We’d like to hear from people using ruby for something that is a
bit out of the ordinary.  Mostly we’re probably all using ruby for building
websites, or for devops, but that’s not all ruby can do.

Some examples:

* making music
* generating graphics
* interactive chatbots
* games
* etc...

So, what are you making ruby do that fits the bill?  Or, what are you using
ruby for that doesn’t fit that bill, but also isn’t a standard webapp?
We'd love to hear about it, whatever it is.  Show us what ruby can do!

Usually we run meetings as a series of talks of specific lengths, but we
think this could be run much more informally.  We can allocate time on the
night based on the number of volunteers we have.  No need for prepared
slides and script either; if you have some code to show us it’d be enough
to walk us through it in your editor (make the font big though!) and then
show the outcome.

Let us know if you’d be interested via talks at lrug.org and we’ll put you on
the list for the meeting.  Get in touch with any questions you have too.

Cheers,

Murray & the rest of the organising team