[LRUG] API for complex conditional data

Andrew Premdas apremdas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 03:03:52 PDT 2020

Hey there,

We have an application which has a wizard for doing a fairly complex task
(imagine something like a tax form with lots of conditional sections). We
want to create an api to do the same task. We have two approaches under
consideration at the moment

1) Mimic the wizard via a POST and a series of PATCH calls
2) Flatten the wizard into a single POST call

The first approach would require around 6 calls to complete the task

The second call would have to fill in 50-60 pieces of data with alot of
different validations and errors. Errors like "You cannot fill in field b
if you have filled in field a"

My questions for the group?

Which choice would you make?
Are there alternative approaches to consider

Thanks for any input/help

All best

Andrew