[LRUG] [JOBS] carwow are looking for experienced developers!

Rory Franklin rory.franklin at carwow.co.uk
Fri Jan 22 04:52:50 PST 2021

Hi LRUG!

I'm Rory, an Engineering Manager at carwow <https://www.carwow.co.uk>, and
I just wanted to let you know we are looking to bring a number of Ruby
developers onboard to allow us to spin up two additional product teams.

We are really keen to talk to people who have got a few years of
experience, ideally primarily with Ruby on Rails but if you've been working
in other languages more recently and fancy a switch back then please do get
in touch too!

We've got a mix of challenges we are trying to solve - from helping people
find the right car for them and get a great deal through to helping our
partners better serve our customers.

Our tech stack is mostly *Ruby on Rails* using *Postgres*, hosted on
*Heroku* but we also make use of *Clojure* and *Elm* if functional
programming is of interest to you!

Our engineering team is super supportive and we host fortnightly sharing
sessions to talk about interesting challenges faced, cool tech we've
encountered and any side projects people are working on.

Benefits include:

   - A competitive salary
   - Equity in the company (share options)
   - 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays and Christmas Eve
   - Health: Private medical health insurance, subsidised gym membership,
   free access to Sanctus <https://sanctus.io/sanctus-coaching-24198e224878>
   mental-health coaching sessions
   - Flexible working: For those that want to, you'll be able to work from
   home for the majority of the week, with up to 2 days max in the office and
   receive a ‘home office allowance’ of up to £500/€550 to help get set up
   with everything you need to succeed at home. We also have a new ‘work from
   anywhere for a month each year' policy in place should you wish to use it.
   (currently completely remote until it's safe for the office to be open)
   - Financial: Private pension scheme, salary sacrifice benefits (i.e.
   cycle to work), Travel Loan
   - Office: When we are in the office, a dog-friendly office in Victoria,
   with free refreshments and a variety of breakout spaces (let Mat Watson
   take you for a spin around our office here
   <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnAk7LLmVlE&feature=youtu.be&t=181>).
   - Social: Company-wide collaboration such as bi-weekly product demos,
   coffee with the exec sessions, culture club, social events (currently
   virtual)

More details on the role can be found here:

https://apply.workable.com/carwow/j/C236EACB9B/

Here are some recent articles our team have written on our blog
<https://medium.com/carwow-product-engineering>:

   - Speeding up our Rails apps with asynchronous cache writes
   <https://medium.com/carwow-product-engineering/speeding-up-our-rails-apps-with-asynchronous-cache-writes-3eaab3e1c26>
   - Backfilling 50 million records, quickly
   <https://medium.com/carwow-product-engineering/backfilling-50-million-records-quickly-eaa04ba5617f>
   - Phantom builder pattern in Elm
   <https://medium.com/carwow-product-engineering/phantom-builder-pattern-in-elm-2fcb950a4e36>

We also do open source! Here are some of our projects:

   - Honeykiq - Sidekiq → Honeycomb <https://github.com/carwow/honeykiq>
   - Umbra - A shadow requesting tool for rack-based apps
   <https://github.com/carwow/umbra>
   - Olaf - a Ruby wrapper for Snowflake queries
   <https://github.com/carwow/olaf>

Feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions about applying!
--

Rory Franklin

Engineering Manager

--
This message is intended solely for the addressee and may contain
confidential information. If you have received this message in error,

carwow is the trading name of carwow Ltd. carwow Ltd is a limited company
registered in England with registered number 7103079. Our registered office
is at Verde Building, 10 Bressenden Pl, Victoria, London SW1E 5DH carwow
Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for
credit broking activities (firm reference number 767155)

For information
about how we process data and monitor communications please see our privacy
policy in www.carwow.co.uk/privacy-policy
<http://www.carwow.co.uk/privacy-policy>