[LRUG] [JOBS] Come and help us fix Government APIs and Data Exchange

Charles Baird charles.baird at digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk
Mon May 17 02:20:04 PDT 2021

Hi LRUG,

I'm Charles, a data architect at the Data Standards Authority, which is
part of the Central Digital and Data Office in the Cabinet Office (yes, we
use a lot of acronyms). The DSA was set up to make data use and sharing
across government better, and I lead on our API offering, which is a team
focused on improving API use - production, consumption and management -
across government and the public sector. This involves quite a few
different strands of work, but most relevantly we're trying to turn the
fledgling Government API Catalogue (https://api.gov.uk) into a real
discovery layer for APIs across the public sector, to drive innovation and
better services for citizens.

We're looking for developers to join us and help turn the prototype we've
built into a real product - first up is a Senior Developer role (
https://gdscareers.tal.net/vx/lang-en-GB/mobile-0/appcentre-1/brand-4/xf-be4d809387f3/candidate/so/pm/1/pl/4/opp/313-Senior-Developer/en-GB)
- we're looking ideally for a full stack developer with good Ruby
experience who's comfortable contributing to architectural and design
decisions. Salary up to £80k, depending on the usual things, but check the
ad for more details.

You'd be based out of one of the Cabinet Office hubs in London, Manchester,
or Bristol - it looks like it's going to be a hybrid approach going
forward, with probably 2 days in the office per week and the rest remote,
but obviously that situation is fluid at the moment (I haven't been to the
office for a year...). You'd be joining a small but dedicated
multidisciplinary team that's committed to agile working, and there would
be the opportunity to have an outsized technical impact across the wider
CDDO, because there aren't many of us techies here! And you'd get the
chance to shape something pretty cool - not just the tool we're building
for API discovery and assessment, but also the direction of policy in this
area from a technical perspective. So you don't need to have strong
feelings about APIs, specs and technologies, but if you do you'll fit right
in.

Two more vacancies for mid-level developers will follow in the next couple
of weeks, and I'll send over links as they go live. Please feel free to
reach out for more details, happy to have a chat in advance if you've got
any questions - closing date is next Monday (25th May). And bear in mind
that these are Civil Service roles, so unfortunately we can't take
applications from agencies.

Thanks, and hope to hear from you soon!

Charles

---
Charles Baird
Data Architect
Data Standards Authority, Central Digital and Data Office
07846903170
https://api.gov.uk
Calendar: https://calendly.com/charlesbaird/