[LRUG] [JOBS] Ruby engineer and also engineering manager opportunities at FreeAgent

Olly Headey olly at freeagent.com
Tue Nov 16 06:58:43 PST 2021

Good afternoon LRUGsters!

I have a few job openings at FreeAgent to mention that I thought might
interest some of you. FreeAgent is one of the most popular 'cloud
accounting' products here in the UK (120,000 customers and growing) and
it's built pretty much entirely using Ruby and Rails. It's probably one of
the oldest Rails apps around (launched 2007) but we run the latest Ruby 3,
Rails 6.1 and we are investing in Hotwire ❤️  We run exclusively on AWS
(ECS Fargate, Aurora, etc).

If you'd like to come and help us build new features (e.g. Making Tax
Digital stuff, open banking payments, migration of UI to Hotwire), lead
teams, work on our infra, improve performance/scaling, refactor hairy
things, then we may well have an opening for you. We are very remote
friendly!

   - Senior engineer, Front-end Architecture
   <https://apply.workable.com/freeagent/j/706DFA99DD/>. Migrating to
   Turbo, writing Stimulus, helping develop our in-house design system,
   FreeStyle.
   - Engineering manager, Core Services
   <https://apply.workable.com/freeagent/j/C8E2180EEC/>. An engineering
   manager who still likes to be hands on (to some extent) to run our Core
   Services platform team of 4 – working with Ruby on cross-domain problems
   (e.g. we just completed epic migration from delayed_job to Sidekiq),
   software architecture/domain modelling, security features.
   - Senior engineer, Developer Platform
   <https://apply.workable.com/freeagent/j/0C24CDBF90/>. Building tooling
   to make our engineers more productive! Work with our CI/CD system (we're
   moving from Jenkins to GitHub Actions), write tools and other DevOps fun
   - Product engineers (mid/senior) – working on core features of the
   product. No specific ad to link to for this one yet, but email me if
   interested.

Salaries bands for Senior and Staff roles are £55k - £90k (£105k for
Principal - but that's a pretty high bar tbh) depending on experience. Same
for engineering manager - we run a dual ladder. You lucky London
inhabitants are eligible for a 20% weighting, so £66k – £108k 💸

We love fully remote (~40% of the engineering team are remote right now),
but if you want to work from a delightful Edinburgh office you'd be most
welcome.

Feel free to drop me a line to chat or you can just apply directly via the
website <https://apply.workable.com/freeagent/#jobs>.

Thanks!
Olly

--