[LRUG] [ANN] February meeting details - talks still needed

Murray Steele murray.steele at lrug.org
Thu Jan 18 14:01:07 PST 2024

Hi all,

Pleased to annouce some details for our February meeting.  It’s on Monday
12th February from 6:30pm (doors at 6pm) until 8pm.  We’re being hosted by
Funding Circle in their offices near Bank tube station on Queen Victoria
Street.

As ever, February is our annual lightning talks evening where all the talks
are no more than 10 minutes long.  So far we have 4 talks lined up for you:

* "Data pagination for jekyll-paginate-v2” by Jay Caines-Gooby
* "Using devcontainers with Ruby” by Jonathan James
* "Contract testing between Ruby applications” by Katya Essina & Sarah
O’Grady
* "What is ruby really capable of?” by fell sunderland

You can find more info on these talks at
https://lrug.org/meetings/2024/february/ where you'll also find full venue
and registration details.

The keen number crunchers among you will have worked out that four 10
minute talks won’t fill the 90 minutes we have for the meeting.  So, yes,
we’re still looking for more talks, and that could be you and three of your
friends!

If you’re stuck for ideas there’s plenty of things you could spend the
tnext couple of weeks investigating to report back in 10 minutes.  How
about:

1. What’s new in rails 7.1
2. What’s new in ruby 3.3
3. What were your highlights from conference talks in 2023
4. Tips and tricks for your favourite dev tools

All of these would be interesting, but I’m sure you have your own ideas.
Come tell us about them: talks at lrug.org.  Also, consider talking this over
with your peers and colleagues and seeing if they have ideas worth sharing
(then you can steal those ideas and present them as your own).

Space is limited so please do register to attend via eventbrite:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/london-ruby-user-group-february-2024-meeting-tickets-699978242767
(which ask you to confirm that you’ve read the code of conduct at
https://readme.lrug.org/#code-of-conduct, obviously)

Note: because of eventbrite pricing shenanigans the event is capped at 75,
but there’s more space than that, so if you end up on the waiting list
we’ll do our best to accomodate you in first-come first-served order up to
the actual capacity.

Cheers,

Murray & the rest of the organising team