[LRUG] April meeting idea: If you show me yours, I'll show you mine

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 06:24:47 PDT 2008

On 25/03/2008, Nick Ludlam <nick at recoil.org> wrote:

> On 13 Mar 2008, at 13:52, Murray Steele wrote:
>
> > We could fill a whole evening with 6 or so folk, or go half-and-half
> > with ~3 of these "Show'n'Tell" things and 1 longer form talk.  It
> > really depends if people are willing to offer up their nuggets of
> > ruby.
> >
> > Of course, if anyone has something they *do* want to talk about for
> > longer, please do volunteer.
>
> I've been evaluating a few of the asynchronous Ruby/Rails processing
> systems over the last two weeks. Specifically I've tested ap4r, sparrow,
> DelayedJob, BackrounDRb and Beanstalk / Async Observer.
>
> If people are interested in this area, I'd be up for talking about the
> benefits and issues with each, and doing some demos, but it would be
> longer than 5 minutes.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for volunteering!  Unfortunately your timing is a little off as
Andrew Stewart talked about this very subject at the last meeting so I think
it might be a bit too soon to revisit the area.  Unless, of course, we
change our name to LAPFRUG (London Asynchronous Processing For Ruby User
Group), which, admittedly does have a certain ring to it ;)  Maybe some
other time?

For anyone else with a long talk / demo / whatever up their sleeve, we've
now got 6 folk signed up to show'n'tell, so the meeting can probably only
support another of these shortish show'n'tells not a longer talk.  However,
don't let that stop you volunteering yourself for a future meeting.

Muz