[LRUG] Code samples: To do or not to do

Vahagn Hayrapetyan vahagnh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 07:13:53 PDT 2009

> This creates a problem for those of us that do care about these things.
> When we start talking about them when we already work somewhere we likely
> get blank stares and our ideas ignored, or pushed aside in the name of
> "speed" or "just do it this way this once 'cos the client is on the phone".
> When we talk about them when being interviewed we get blank stares and
> passed over in favour of some other drone who won't come in and change
> everything and frighten the rest of the drones.

Ah God.

But, isn't the solution right at hand?

   1. Acquire strong project management and marketing skills.
   2. *Deliver to the end customer. Market directly to user. Team up with
   developer who share your vision of quality.
   *
   3. Overdeliver each time, thanks to your vision of quality and strong
   ability to follow up and deliver on a project
   4. Leave the drones behind.
   5. Improve the ecosystem by raising the standards bar.

@Chris:

> Let me know if you need any more detail from us on why we decided not to
> call you for interview.

As a matter of fact, I'm not very bothered about that. I applied, sent you
some code (more than 2-3 lines), and even offered you a bargain on the
"price tag". You were not interested. I am not interested in why. I don't
compete on the price and once a potential employer goes below a certain
price level, I automatically stop worrying about that particular
opportunity.

However, if you have some points that you believe would benefit the
discussion here, you're welcome to bring them up. Maybe we can get wiser,
collectively.

/ Vahagn