[LRUG] Claranet at looking for a full time RoR developer

George Palmer george.palmer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 05:37:33 PDT 2010

I've worked with a few good devs without degrees so I don't agree with
it but I can see why people ask for it.  My dad is a HR director and
to him hiring somebody without a degree is crazy.  He works in the
traditional engineering field and in that domain it's pretty hard to
learn the job without some formal training.  Sure you can be taught by
others on the job and read books but it's not the same as having a
formal education behind you.  Even if you overcome that hurdle without
being able to demonstrate your skills it would be seen as a very risky
hire (and its very hard to prove when you work in a team at another
company).  With technology you can self teach from the web and can
demonstrate this well by building your own site or releasing open
source code.  Building your own pump or steel frame to demonstrate
your skills is somewhat more difficult and expensive.

Also in most medium/large sized companies recruitment policy is
handled by HR and they probably have something along the lines of all
jobs that pay above X require a degree of 2:1 or above.  Although
relevant 10 years ago, and still to many professions, I don't believe
this to be the case with programming jobs in 2010.

On 23 September 2010 13:08, Tim Benest <thb at taskforce.co.uk> wrote:
> Could not agree more, in my 25 years experience of programming and running
> software companies, I never use recruitment agencies. The whole must have a
> degree thing, to a certain extent is non-sensical. Looking at
> someones experience and getting them to write some code at interview, is a
> much better indicator. This is why I find open source such a good thing as
> anyone with and interest in what they are going and a good brain can get the
> required experience.
> I only have 6 'O' Levels (Showing my age now), yet I have had to supervise
> guys trying to get there Doctorate's in Computer Science, who could not
> write merchandisable code for toffee.
> /T
>
> On 23 September 2010 12:33, Anthony Green <Anthony.Green at bbc.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Cookie cutting recruitment process ?
>>
>> I'm seeing job specs getting increasing nonsensical as ruby adoption
>> grows.
>>
>> On 23/09/2010 12:29, "Rob Lacey" <contact at robl.me> wrote:
>>
>> > I do wonder why an awful lot of jobs require degrees in Computer
>> > Science or related fields, before even getting your foot in the door.
>> > I worked in ISP and Web Development for 12 years and I studied Music
>> > Technology, and I've worked with extremely capable people who didn't
>> > even go to university. So it doesn't really seem to matter.
>> >
>> > RobL
>>
>> --
>> Anthony Green
>> BBC Ruby Group
>>

>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/
>> This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal
>> views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
>> If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.
>> Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in
>> reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.
>> Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
>> Further communication will signify your consent to this.

> --
> Regards
> Tim Benest
> Taskforce Systems Ltd