[LRUG] [Workflow] Getting a Pull Request from creation to merge

George Sheppard george at fuzzmonkey.co.uk
Mon Aug 19 06:02:01 PDT 2013

Hey Matthew,
> we work on the code until we believe it is done
Don't wait until you're finished to open the PR. I tend to open one early on so other people are free to look through my code as they please. It also makes it easier to ask people to have a look over something you're not sure on. If you get feedback early rather than waiting until the end, you run less risk of the 'have you seen gem X' or 'try using this approach' feedback that can lead to delays while you refactor all the things.

You could also deploy the feature branch for QA before it has been merged depending on the state of the branch. Again, getting early feedback on any potential issues before you're too far down the garden path.

In terms of context switching, I try and be pretty descriptive with feedback on PRs. E.g how about we do this specific thing rather than 'this method looks smelly'. The later style of feedback can be a massive time sink in my experience. I hope by providing constructive / focused feedback to minimise any disruption I guess.

George