[LRUG] [Workflow] Getting a Pull Request from creation to merge

Najaf Ali ali at happybearsoftware.com
Mon Aug 19 05:58:14 PDT 2013

*> 4. another member of the team takes a look at the pull request*
*
*
If I were looking I'd have a fresh CV/cover letter over to you faster than
you can say "horizontal privilege escalation".

*> How do you deal with this?*

One way I've seen this done before is to have a code review batman who is
designated as the person that does code reviews for that time period (be it
a week or whatever). Everyone does code reviews, always, but if there is no
one available and a change has been lingering/needs to be expedited, batman
rolls in and does the review. This only really works if your team is larger
than say ten developers.

Fun story: at one company we had a technical architect (who was demonic at
the command line *and* in his IDE) who was very good at context switching.
He managed to deliver a hell of a lot of high quality software, and
simultaneously code review literally everything a team of 20+ developers
did. Rumour had it that he was some sort of warlock or something, so YMMV.

Ali, http://happybearsoftware.com