[LRUG] ADVICE

Gabe da Silveira gabe at websaviour.com
Fri May 24 04:04:51 PDT 2013

Ultimately to succeed without playing the dirty numbers game, I think
word-of-mouth will be the key, and this does mean relationships.  But
Adrian is right, talk is cheap in the recruitment game, and no amount of
words will build a relationship.  The relationship comes from behaving
ethically and helpfully over time.  If you can do this for a few companies,
you should be able to continue on solely by referrals without resorting to
any cold calls or emails.

Perhaps the most important thing to understand about relationship building
with engineers is that we are practically allergic to typical corporate,
political and old boy schmoozing.  Software engineers live at the junction
between business talk and hard, immutable, unforgiving logic.  It doesn't
matter if you're a CEO espousing a grand vision, or a recruiter trying to
land a commission, when it hits the engineering team all the bullshit
evaporates and you're faced with the reality of delivering a working
product.  Bringing an unqualified candidate to this situation is a
guaranteed recipe for fail. Recruiters who don't understand the value of my
time and distraction of looking at obviously unqualified candidates are
blatantly incompetent.  Would you go to a butcher who didn't like to touch
meat?  Ride in a taxi whose driver was scared of traffic?  Hire an
accountant who was familiar with tax law?