[LRUG] Software engineer in SF looking for work in London

Matthew Rudy Jacobs matthewrudyjacobs at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 13:02:37 PDT 2014

On 21 September 2014 03:39, Eric Theise <erictheise at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would anyone care to comment, either as a Londoner taking on foreign
> engineers or as an expat that's been able to make such a situation work?
>
> Thanks, Eric

I looked into this before for a Hong Kong friend who we were trying to get
a visa for.

Although on paper it seems fairly straightforward

1. get a sponsorship permit for your company
2. put out a special advert for 28 days
3. resolve that local talent can't satisfy your requirements
4. take the foreign recruit of your choice (assuming they tick enough boxes)

The advice I got from startups who've tried it was "actually, it takes a
lot of time, and a lot of money for immigration lawyers, and it still may
not work"

So we didn't pursue it.

If anyone has had a more positive experience, I'd love to hear that.