[LRUG] [JOBS] 1 month contract with BBC R&D working on video search
tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk
Mon May 16 10:20:00 PDT 2016
Hi there everyone! Hopefully the below will be of interest to some on here!
I've worked with BBC R&D as a contractor on-and-off for several years, and
enjoyed it so much I recently went full-time, which I hope is some sort of
See below for details - if you've got any general questions about working
here, please get in touch -however, specific details about the position
we're advertising (and expressions of interest / applications) should go to
Rob, whose email is below (and is also CC'd).
Thanks a lot!
Senior Software Developer – Rails/React JS
We are looking to hire an experienced software developer for a 1 month job
to further develop a prototype Rails / ReactJS client for a novel video
You’ll be working with a small team of 3 developers with a focus on
research into video search and metadata extraction. This particular
application uses a state-of-the-art Video Fingerprinting system developed
in-house. Day-to-day you’ll be adding features, integrating with the
back-end, testing and helping optimise the system.
The job is based in the BBC R&D Internet Research and Future Services
Section and is based in the UCL Media Campus near Euston station. The
shared office space houses a number of sections from the BBC including
Connected Studio and NewsLabs, as well as UCL research groups, with
opportunities to attend lectures and talks in the shared public space.
● Technical design and build of a modern web application, including
both front-end and server-side components
● Write high quality, well tested software in a collaborative
● Work in a multidisciplinary team to deliver project requirements
*The Ideal Candidate*
● Excellent knowledge of server-side programming using Ruby and Rails
developing modular applications, and the use of client-side frameworks
(e.g., React.js, Angular)
● Excellent HTML5 / CSS2/3 skills including CSS pre-processors (e.g.
SASS), and a strong understanding of responsive design and cross-browser
● Excellent knowledge of the Linux operating system, and comfortable
with configuring and deploying software to servers
● Experience of pair programming with co-developers
● Thorough understanding of git and other development tools (e.g.
Grunt, Gradle, Make, etc.) and how to use them effectively in a development
● Knowledge and experience of software testing and continuous
integration practices and tools, including test-driven development
*Desirable skills and experience*
● Experience with HTML5 web audio and video
● Knowledge of strategies to improve performance (HTTP caching,
language best practices)
● Experience of integrating with back-end services such as search
engines (e.g. Solr, Elasticsearch)
Please email rob.cooper at bbc.co.uk with your CV (or if you have any
Internet Research & Future Services
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Chat