[LRUG] Talks needed: Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, … oh, you get it, basically: talks please forever

Murray Steele murray.steele at lrug.org
Tue Oct 18 06:37:52 PDT 2016

Hi all,

The close readers among you that read my email about the November meeting
will have noticed it has a talk called “something” presented by “you?”.  We
don’t have an avant-garde popstar coming to talk to us; this is an actual
hole in our agenda.

Recently we’ve been having more shorter talks and this means we’ve used up
most of the stack of talk volunteers.  Not only is there space at the
November (15th) meeting, but the December (12th) and January (9th) meetings
also have slots available.

For November there is room for one 25 minute talk, or two 10 minute talks.
December and January are open to any length talk (40, 25, or 10 minute),
and January could even accommodate something that’s not a talk that lasts
for the full duration of the meeting (~1hr 20 or so).

Looking further afield we have our February (13th) meeting which we keep
for lightning talks (there’s room for eight 10 minute slots). Onwards into
March (13th) and beyond it’s all up for grabs.

As ever LRUG is keen to hear from first time speakers and I encourage you
to help your colleagues and friends overcome any nerves they may have to
propose a talk.  If you’re not sure that your idea for a talk would be
appropriate for LRUG (it most likely will be) then do get in touch and I'll
help you work it out.  I’m also more than happy to help you turn an idea
for a talk into a proposal, and a proposal into a well rehearsed talk if
you’d like that kind of help.  I’m sure other LRUG folk would be willing to
lend a hand too.

Do check out http://readme.lrug.org/#talks if you think you’d like to talk
as it has a load of tips about speaking at LRUG.  If it doesn’t answer any
questions you have let me know and we’ll fix it.

If you have a preference for a specific month mention it when you get in
touch so I can pencil you in for that meeting, but if you’re happy to talk
whenever I’ll put you on the stack and offer you a slot at a meeting as
they become available.

Cheers,

Murray