[LRUG] Coming to LRUG tonight? Help us test a prototype

Scott Matthewman scott at matthewman.net
Mon Aug 13 04:06:28 PDT 2018

Hello fellow LRUGgers,

We at Skills Matter have a small favour to ask if you’re attending
tonight’s LRUG meetup at our venue here in CodeNode.

We’re in the process of building a new automated checkin system that will
eventually replace the current system of pre-printing name badges for all
the meetups, courses and conferences that we run. This first iteration will
eventually see us send you a unique six-character confirmation code when
you register your attendance, which you’ll be able to use to check in and
print your name badge.

So if you’re coming along tonight and would like a chance to help, here’s
all you have to do:

1. Check in in the normal way at reception in Code Node as you would for
any other LRUG meeting, collecting your self-adhesive name badge as usual.
2. As you head downstairs for the meeting, look out for a second check-in
desk downstairs.
3. A friendly soul will be able to give you your check-in code
4. Enter your check-in code into the kiosk prototype (which should give you
a second, slightly different, name badge).

And that’s it.

We tried out our first prototype at another meetup a couple of weeks ago,
and that gave us huge amounts of useful feedback that enabled us to make
some pretty big changes to the software (FWIW, it’s a Go application
running on a Raspberry Pi, connecting to a Rails-backed API). We’ll be
trying out our latest iteration tonight, and would love it if the friendly
folks at LRUG helped us improve it even further.

Thanks, and enjoy tonight’s meetup!

Scott Matthewman
Rails Developer, Skills Matter
--