[LRUG] [JOBS] FT-backed journalism startup seeks full-stack Rubyist

Duncan Brown duncanjbrown at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 09:57:14 PST 2018

Hello LRUG,

I've just started working at a young startup called sifted
<https://sifted.eu>. The idea is to build a publishing and local networking
platform for and about European startups, and it's backed by the FT. The
company is ready to begin work on its main product in January, and there's
a job opportunity for a full-stack Ruby developer. The team so far is a
handful of journalists, myself as tech lead, and a designer.

The official blurb is below. I wrote the technical bit — please contact me
directly if you have any questions.

All the best
Duncan

*About Sifted*

Sifted is the Financial Times-backed new media platform for Europe’s
startup community. We will be the essential, trusted and independent
resource for those in Europe’s startup and tech world. As well as a source
of news, information and analysis we are also a community for discovery and
engagement, generating rich data that can be returned to our readers as
information, insight and business intelligence.

Led by one of the founders of Hailo and the Innovation Editor of the FT,
Sifted is an independent startup based at Southwark Bridge, with a team of
10 in London and on the continent. We have a tech lead and a design lead,
and we are looking for a full-stack Ruby developer to become the third
member of the product team as we accelerate our drive to become the leading
platform for Europe’s startup eco-system.

*The ideal candidate*

The ideal candidate has worked in agile teams, practices test-driven
development, and writes excellent git commit messages. They work to
understand user needs before building features, and they have experience
using data to drive product decisions. They are comfortable collaborating
with other developers or designers, for example via pair programming and
rapid prototyping.

They have built and maintained web applications written in Ruby on Rails or
another MVC framework. They have experience designing RESTful APIs and a
working understanding of fundamental web technologies like HTTP and DNS.
They have a grasp of modern front-end tools and technologies such as
webpack and React, or are willing to learn about them.

Candidates with no Ruby experience but equivalent skills in another
language will be considered. Experience in the world of data journalism or
statistics more generally is nice to have. Experience with Amazon Web
Services is nice to have.

Technologies

- Rails
- React
- Docker
- ElasticSearch
- PostgreSQL
- AWS
- WordPress

Salary: £50,000
Equity: Yes

*Application and dates*

Applications should be sent to jobs at sifted.eu and include a CV and covering
letter, and link to Github if relevant.
The deadline for applications is Sunday January 6th.