[LRUG] [JOBS] Junior ruby developer role

Ketan Patel kp at survivalinternational.org
Wed Jul 4 09:09:57 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I'm a web developer at Survival International, a global charity fighting for tribal people's rights.

We are currently looking for a junior ruby developer to join us.

Currently, we run a monolith Rails application and are in the planning stages of breaking it up into several individual applications. Your primary task will be maintaining this Rails app by fixing bugs and updating functionality.

A lot of the new smaller applications will be open sourced and you’ll be given the opportunity to contribute to these.

This is a great opportunity for someone who has just completed a bootcamp or is relatively new to Ruby.

Technical requirements

	-       Competent in Ruby and familiar with Rails or a similar web framework.
	-       Familiar with agile project management.
	-       TDD/BDD
	-       Git/Github
	-       Comfortable using a terminal on Mac/Linux

Non-technical requirements

	Development is much more than just writing code. We would also like to see these qualities in our developers:

	-       Desire for learning and growing as a developer.
	-       Our team is collaborative and transparent so you must be willing to work in a team.
	-       Comfortable with pairing.
	-       Able to separate real work from ‘busy work’ and prioritise tasks accordingly
	-      	Willing to speak your mind even if you think the rest of the team may not like hearing it. Issues discussed early and together keep the team moving forward as one.

Salary and perks

	-       £25-30k depending on experience.
	-       Training budget for books, courses and conferences.
	-       Pension scheme.
	-       25 days holidays + bonus days over Christmas.
	-       Weekly all-staff tea and biscuits.
	-       Annual international get together.
	-       MacBook pro, iMac or similar.

Application process

	-       Go to https://bit.ly/survival-ruby-job to submit your CV and cover letter, including links to any code samples you may have.
	-       Interview in our London office.
	-       Short pairing exercise with one of our developers.

Info

	-       You must have the right to work in the UK
	-       Hours of work: Monday - Friday, full-time, onsite (10am - 6pm)
	-       6-month probationary period.
	-       12 month contract, renewable
	-       Location: London head office.

Application

	To apply, go to https://bit.ly/survival-ruby-job and fill in the form.

PS: I will be at Brighton Ruby this Friday so come talk to me if you want more info about the role or just want to know more about Survival.

Thanks,

Ketan Patel
Web Developer

Survival International
For tribes, for nature, for all humanity

6 Charterhouse Buildings, London EC1M 7ET, United Kingdom | +44 (0)20 7687 8700 | Privacy notice <https://www.survivalinternational.org/info/privacy>
www.survivalinternational.org <http://www.survivalinternational.org/> | Start a fundraiser <https://www.facebook.com/pg/survival/fundraisers/> | Sign up to receive emails <https://www.survivalinternational.org/news/enews> | Become a monthly donor <https://www.survivalinternational.org/donate>

Since 1969 | Offices in Berlin, London, Madrid, Milan, Paris, San Francisco | Supporters in over 100 countries