[LRUG] [JOBS] Ruby Developer for sustainability charity, Energy Sparks. Fully remote but UK-based

Claudia Towner hello at energysparks.uk
Fri Sep 22 06:53:21 PDT 2023

Hi all,

We are seeking a Software Developer for Energy Sparks
<https://energysparks.uk/>, a charity helping young people to reduce their
school’s carbon footprint. This role needs an experienced full-stack Ruby
developer to help support the development of our school-specific energy
management tool and education platform.

This is a fully remote position, but we are looking for a developer who is
based in the UK.

Salary: up to £57,000.

About us

Energy Sparks (https://energysparks.uk/) is an online energy analysis tool
and energy education programme specifically designed to help schools reduce
their electricity and gas usage through the analysis of smart meter
data. Energy
Sparks helps pupils and the wider school community to reduce their school’s
carbon emissions, and make a real contribution to addressing the 'climate
emergency'. Energy Sparks started in 2017 and is now working with around
1000 schools across the UK. We are a small team of nine people, primarily
based in the Bath area. We are a fully remote team and are able to work
flexible hours.

About the application

Energy Sparks is a Ruby on Rails web application that uses a Postgres
database deployed within a managed infrastructure (Amazon AWS, using
ElasticBeanstalk, RDS, Lambda and S3). The front end uses JQuery and
customised Bootstrap styles, while the backend integrates with a variety of
third-party APIs to access smart meter, weather and other energy data
sources. Our software is fully open source. Further details can be found at:

https://github.com/Energy-Sparks/energy-sparks

We prioritise our work using Trello, using a simple Kanban based workflow.
We ensure we allocate time both developing new features and maintenance to
help us improve our code, infrastructure and processes.

More information is available at https://energysparks.uk/jobs

Kind regards,

Claudia

--

Dr Claudia Towner
Energy Sparks CEO and Programme Director