[LRUG] [HELP NEEDED] Contributions to the LRUG Gazette physical newspaper

Murray Steele murray.steele at lrug.org
Wed Jul 31 13:17:41 PDT 2024

Hi all,

Back in May I announced my intention to produce a physical newspaper full
of LRUG things (see
http://lists.lrug.org/pipermail/chat-lrug.org/2024-May/026119.html and
https://lrug.org/gazette/).  Plenty of you got in touch to say that it
sounded fun and offering to pitch in.

I haven’t been spectacular at following up, but one of my particular
psychological foibles is that I need a deadline.

So.

I would like to produce the paper to hand out at the November meeting
on *Monday
11th November*.  The service I plan to use says to allow up to 7 days for
printing + delivery which means a final proof PDF by the end of Oct.  I
have no idea how long it’ll take me to learn how to use Scribus or InDEsign
to produce the PDF, bit I think we should assume a final content deadline
of the October meeting on *Monday 14th October*.  Obviously, earlier is
better though!

We probably need an idea of what the thing will look like before that
though, so let’s see if we can get some pitches in during August so we can
announce a bit more what the contents will look like at the September
meeting on *Monday 9th September*.

I’ll follow up direct with people who already volunteered something try to
nail things down.  But, if you’ve been waiting for a deadline to spur you
on now you have one.

What I think we definitely have lined up:

* A crossword - Tom, Stephen, Chris are iterating on this
* A history of LRUG - I’ll be writing this, and will be emailing previous
organisers for some insight shortly - if that’s you, wrack your brains
* …

So there’s _plenty_ of space for you to suggest something: short or long,
wordy or pictorial, fact or fiction, opinion or education - it’s up to you!

Cheers,

Murray